About Our Organization
The Federation of Organizations of Disabled People in Zimbabwe (FODPZ) is a national disability umbrella body of various national Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs). It is a non-profit making organization. The federation was formed on 26 July 2003 and was registered as a Private Voluntary Organization in 2004. FODPZ’s national office was based in Bulawayo since its inception until it relocated to Harare in April 2014. The Federation is managed by a governing board of representative members from its affiliate organisations. The objective of its formation was to strengthen and unify the representative voice of Disabled People’s Organizations and organizations of Parents of Children with Disabilities in Zimbabwe.
A proactive community of disabled Persons Organizations responsive and devoted to the sustainable development needs of all persons with disabilities and the full realization of human rights, equality, good governance and poverty alleviation in Zimbabwe.
We the body of organizations of persons with disabilities are committed to the promotion of equality, human rights and sustainable development through the support of capacitated and well-coordinated members that are responsive to the needs and aspirations of people with disabilities in Zimbabwe.
Transparency, accountability, responsiveness, equity, professionalism, participation, equality and engagement.
To achieve equalization of opportunities; attainment and enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms for persons with disabilities in Zimbabwe.
OBJECTIVES OF FODPZ:
- To facilitate the collaboration, networking and coordination of its member organizations to acquire capacity, efficiency and effectiveness required in advocacy and lobbying aimed at improving the quality of life for persons with disabilities in Zimbabwe.
- To take cognizance of all existing and prospective bylaws, policies and legislation, including all statutory instruments, assess and evaluate their likely impact on persons with disabilities take a considered position and advocate on them with the aim to represent and secure their best interests.
- To promote and carry out or assist in promoting and carrying out appropriate research, surveys and investigations and publish the results thereof.
- To collect, process (when necessary or requested to do so) and disseminate information on all matters affecting FODPZ AND exchange such information with other bodies having similar objects in and outside Zimbabwe.
- To raise funds for FODPZ through all legitimate means.
- To invest funds surplus to its requirement within the limits stipulated by the donors or declared during the process of raising the funds.
- To help member organizations resolve internal and inter-organisational misunderstandings and conflicts through mechanisms established for conflict resolution.